Hiring: Assistant General Manager
Posted: June 29, 2020
This is a position for an energetic, detail-oriented individual who has experience supervising volunteers and an understanding of broadcast operations, programming, production, fundraising, and compliance requirements. The Assistant General Manager (AGM) is a key contributor to fostering the positive organizational culture, programming, listener growth, and financial viability of WRFI and Ithaca Community Radio (ICR) in accordance with the ICR’s mission.
The Assistant General Manager (AGM) is a key contributor to fostering the development of WRFI’s programming, listenership, and financial health. The AGM will help further Ithaca Community Radio’s (ICR) mission, be an integral part of a positive organizational culture, build on the successes of the station’s first 8 years of operation, and take part in several exciting ongoing projects. The job offers an opportunity to take part in nearly every aspect of station management and operations.
The AGM works 20-30 hours per week and reports to the General Manager (GM) and, in coordination with the GM, supervises paid staff (including the News Director and Program Coordinator) and station volunteers.
WRFI is committed to being an inclusive workplace and encourages applicants of all identities to apply, including all races, religions, colors, national origins, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, ages, and veteran and disability statuses.
WRFI is a volunteer-driven, community radio station for Ithaca and Watkins Glen, New York. We are a living wage employer and employ three part-time staff members. We broadcast a mix of local and syndicated, news, public affairs and music programming and are committed to airing local and underrepresented perspectives in keeping with the following values: peace, justice, sustainability, freedom of expression, cultural diversity, integrity and joy.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The AGM assists the General Manager to:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the station and ensure an in-person presence in the station;
- Serve as a contact person, for staff, volunteers, and community members (email, SMS, and phone);
- Recruit, coordinate, and train volunteers for on-air and off-air tasks, especially from underrepresented communities;
- Ensure that every aspect of the WRFI’s operations are consistent with the principles of anti-racism, inclusion and equity;
- Work with volunteers to develop the quantity and quality of WRFI’s programming; Serve as an active member of the Programming Advisory Board;
- Manage finances: pay bills, deposit donations and other income, work with bookkeeper to reconcile accounts, manage donor database;
- Manage scheduling and contracting for public service announcements (PSAs) and underwriting announcements in coordination with Program Director and General Manager;
- Manage bulk fundraising and outreach campaigns, mailings, and emails;
- Assist in the coordination and management of fundraising, fund drives, and other station activities;
- Proactively cultivate community outreach opportunities with local businesses and organizations to further articulate WRFI’s mission, and to build collaborative relationships with these entities including the development of programming, PSAs, and underwriting contracts;
- Participate in on-air fundraising, donor development, cultivation, and recognition;
- Track, compile and update daily logs, FCC and EAS compliance filings, music license agreements and playlist reports, affiliation contracts, and grant disbursement agreements on deadline;
- Compile and coordinate on-call, on-air, staff, compliance and volunteer schedules and calendars;
- Ensure function and maintenance of broadcast equipment, facilities and transmitter sites, order needed supplies etc.;
- Manage equipment inventories, loans, and scheduling of studio facilities;
- Answer phones, emails and social media inquiries and forward to appropriate staff as needed;
- Regularly post to station website and social media accounts;
- Provide administrative support to the GM and fill-in for the GM in the event of their temporary absence.
- Passion for community media;
- Minimum of one year of an-air experience;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and/or experience in radio, journalism, media, communications, arts, non-profit management, or a closely related field;
- Ability to balance complex workload;
- Experience working in a collaborative office environment with diverse volunteers, listeners, and community groups;
- Effective organizational and communication skills;
- Proficiency with Google Docs, and audio editing software;
- Experience with other online tools such as Facebook, Instagram, Mail Chimp etc.;
- Experience with bulk mail management.
- Previous experience in community or public radio;
- Experience with Mac and Linux (CentOS) operating systems, and radio automation software (Rivendell);
- Experience with CiviCRM or other donor management platform;
- Familiarity with the WRFI listening area and it’s communities;
- Experience with WordPress, HTML, and CSS;
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills – especially technical ones.