Live, Local, and Commercial-Free
Listen now at 89.7FM, 88.1FM in Ithaca, or 91.9FM in Watkins Glen, or using our web player.
– Health insurance costs for Cortland County employees, retirees may rise – Cortland County retirees and employees may see their health insurance contributions rise by 10% in 2024. The Cortland Voice reports the county is facing a $1.3 million gap in the 2024 budget. The insurance increase would close that gap. The legislature is set to vote on the resolution at their September 28 meeting. – State mandates push Tompkins County budget up – Tompkins County’s 2024 budget recommendations were presented to the legislature earlier this week. County Administrator Lisa Holmes submitted the $254 million budget includes a 2% tax levy increase. It also contains increases of several million dollars because of state…
Reload page to refresh.
The Ithaca artist known as Lost Cat died in April. His name was Gavin Mahoney and he was 55. Mahoney was best known for the many stick cat figures he painted around the city. Shortly after his death friends, admirers, and fellow artists put on a memorial art exhibition. And in July, a sculpture was installed downtown in his memory. I spoke with a few of his friends at both events. Here’s some of what they said about Mahoney’s life and how they will remember him.Read More
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation divides the state into nine regions. Dereth Glance is the new Region 7 Director. It covers Onondaga, Tompkins, Cortland, Chenango, Oswego, Madison, Cayuga, Tioga, and Broome counties. Glance most recently oversaw the DEC Environmental Remediation, Materials Management, and Mineral Resources divisions. Before joining the DEC, she served…Read More
Felix Teitelbaum interviews New Orleans-based artists Quintron and Missy Pussycat on August 24, 2023. They’ll be appearing in Ithaca at the Cherry Arts, Sept. 11. The show is a benefit for WRFI. You can learn more about the duo and get tickets to the show here.Read More
In this week’s episode of The Scene, international labor law expert Desiree LeClercq breaks down the 2023 National Labor Relations Board proceeding that held three Ithaca store closures by Starbucks to be in violation of federal protections for organizing workers, and discusses the larger contexts in national and international worker rights.Read More
Latest from the WRFI News Team
Daily features and interviews from our community
– Ithaca CarShare To Reopen In 2024 – Ithaca CarShare will reopen in March 2024 when a new law goes into effect that will make it possible for them to get insurance again. The nonprofit car share has been shut down since May because of a regulator problem that caused it to lose insurance coverage.…Read More
– More details about Cornell’s New Payment Agreement with Ithaca – The new payment agreement between Cornell University and the City of Ithaca was announced on September 14. In it, the Ivy League university agrees to pay its host city $4 million dollars a year with regular increases for inflation over the next 21 years.…Read More
– Ithaca Reaches Payment Agreement with Cornell University – On September 14, Cornell University and Ithaca Mayor Laura Lewis announced that a new voluntary payment agreement had been reached. According to a joint statement, Cornell will pay the City $4 million dollars a year for the next 21 years. The Ithaca Common Council will hold…Read More
– Interlaken Under Mandatory Water Conservation Order – The Village of Interlaken is under a water conservation order until further notice. An order was issued on September 8 and renewed on September 10. The Finger Lakes Times reports residents using the Interlaken water system should limit water usage while maintenance of the village wells is…Read More