Live, Local, and Commercial-Free
Listen now at 89.7FM, 88.1FM in Ithaca, or 91.9FM in Watkins Glen, using our web player.
– Air Quality Warning Stays In Effect – The state Department of Environmental Conservation has issued another air quality warning for today. Smoke from Canadian wildfires is causing hazy skies and poor air quality across most of New York state including the southern Finger Lakes. Joanne Labounty is with the Binghamton office of the National Weather Service. She says, “It’s probably going to be at least another day or two. And we’ll have to see what happens with fires and our northwest flow changing a bit over us as well.” Labounty says smoke is in the upper and lower atmosphere because it’s from fires in western Canada, as well as Quebec and Ontario. The DEC…
Reload page to refresh.
No Posts Found.
Latest from the WRFI News Team
Daily features and interviews from our community
Local News for June 7, 2023
– Air Quality Warning Stays In Effect – The state Department of Environmental Conservation has issued another air quality warning for today. Smoke from Canadian wildfires is causing hazy skies and poor air quality across most of New York state including the southern Finger Lakes. Joanne Labounty is with the Binghamton office of the National…Read More
Local News for June 6, 2023
– Ithaca Police Expand Search For Missing Man – Ithaca Police expanded their search for a missing man to include part of Newfield on Friday. Police say Thomas Rath went missing on May 19 under suspicious circumstances. Rath was first reported missing from the encampment known as “The Jungle” along Ithaca’s inlet. He is 6…Read More
Local News for June 5, 2023
Tompkins County Announces $700,000 In Grant Funds For Nonprofits Tackling Opioid Crisis Tompkins County nonprofits can now apply for some of the opioid settlement funds. The County’s Opioid Task Force will distribute $700,000 in grants for work related to the opioid crisis. The money comes from settlements paid by drugmakers and distribution companies. Information about…Read More
Local News for June 2, 2023
– Tompkins County Considering A 2 Percent Tax Levy Increase – Tompkins County Administrator Lisa Holmes is proposing a 2 percent tax levy increase in the 2024 budget. She says it’s necessary to cover rising energy costs and emergency services. It would cost the average homeowner about $50 more. To pay for it the county…Read More
Local News for June 1, 2023
– State Regulators Vote To Settle Lawsuit Preventing Marijuana Retail Licenses In Finger Lakes – Retail marijuana licenses can now be issued in the Finger Lakes Region. The state’s Cannabis Control Board agreed to settle a lawsuit during their meeting on Tuesday. The Albany Times Union reports a Michigan resident sued New York because he…Read More
Local News for May 30, 2023
– Ithaca Common Council Members Introduce Gun Storage Legislation – The Ithaca Common Council is considering a gun storage law. It would require gun owners to lock up or disable their firearms in their homes. The issue was discussed at last week’s City Administration Committee meeting. The Ithaca Voice reports the legislation would carry fines…Read More