Live, Local, and Commercial-Free
Listen now at 89.7FM, 88.1FM in Ithaca, or 91.9FM in Watkins Glen, or using our web player.
– Write-in candidate wins seat on Ithaca Common Council – Cornell undergraduate Patrick Kuehl appears to have won a seat on Ithaca’s Common Council. The Ithaca Voice reports that Kuehl has defeated incumbent Jorge DeFendini after absentee and affidavit votes were counted on Thursday. He got 49 to DeFendini’s 40 votes. But because the margin is less than 20 votes a manual recount must be done. Kuehl did not publicly announce his candidacy. It became clear he was running on election day. Kuehl will represent the Fourth Ward. DeFendini has called for him to step down and accused him of “hiding his campaign and lying to the press.” Cornell Daily Sun reports that…
Reload page to refresh.
Since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in October there have been several separate rallies in Ithaca supporting Palestine or Israel. Public emotions ran high when the Tompkins County Legislature briefly considered a resolution in support of Israel and flying the Israeli flag in the legislative chamber. It was around that time,…Read More
We’re sorry to announce to our Watkins Glen listeners that we have gone off the air on 91.9FM as of Friday, November 10. This change will not affect our signals at 88.1FM in Ithaca, or 89.7FM across the Southern Finger Lakes. Nor will it affect our webstream heard here at WRFI.ORG. In fact many Watkins…Read More
WRFI Community Radio and The Ithaca Voice are bringing you conversations with candidates in the contested Ithaca Common Council races and the mayoral race. Tonight Matt Butler interviews Ward 5 candidate Jason Houghton. Houghton is running on the Ithacans for Progress ballot line. His opponent is Clyde Lederman, running on the Democratic Party and Working…Read More
WRFI Community Radio and The Ithaca Voice are bringing you conversations with candidates in the contested Ithaca Common Council races and the mayoral race. I’m Celia Clarke, with Matt Butler Editor-in-Chief of The Ithaca Voice. Today, Ward 3 candidates Pat Sewell and Pierre Saint-Perez. Saint-Perez is the Democratic Party candidate. Sewell is an Independent running…Read More
Latest from the WRFI News Team
Daily features and interviews from our community
– New Ithaca police chief selected – A 23-year veteran of the Schenectady police department has been selected to be the new police chief in Ithaca. Thomas Kelly was selected after interviews with community members and a search committee. His appointment must be approved by the Common Council. They are set to vote on it…Read More
– Thirteenth person indicted for kidnapping, murder of Ithaca’s Thomas Rath – A thirteenth person was indicted for the kidnapping and murder of Ithaca resident Thomas Rath. New York State Police announced on November 22 that Newfield resident, David Maycumber was indicted by a Tioga County Grand Jury on four charges. They include first-degree murder,…Read More
– Hochul signs law that will seal criminal records for thousands – Governor Hochul has signed a new law into effect that will seal criminal records for thousands of people. The Clean Slate Law will seal the records of some people who have served their sentences and paid all fines. The Albany Times Union reports…Read More
– Ithaca seeks public input for short-term rental regulations – The City of Ithaca held a public session about its proposed short-term rental policy last week. Residents were able to talk with the city officials who are drafting the regulations. The Ithaca Voice reports that officials explained three types of permits being considered. Two would…Read More