Live, Local, and Commercial-Free
Listen now at 89.7FM, 88.1FM in Ithaca, or 91.9FM in Watkins Glen, or using our web player.
– New Ithaca police chief selected – A 23-year veteran of the Schenectady police department has been selected to be the new police chief in Ithaca. Thomas Kelly was selected after interviews with community members and a search committee. His appointment must be approved by the Common Council. They are set to vote on it at a December 6 meeting. – One person injured, part of downtown Elmira shut down after shooting – One person was injured in a shooting in downtown Elmira on Monday. Police say the shooting was targeted at one person and not a random act. WENY TV reports that police closed off a one-block area of downtown Elmira for…
Reload page to refresh.
Ithaca’s largest mural is completed. It’s on the Cayuga Addiction Recovery Services’ building on Plain Street between MLK, Jr. and Seneca Streets. Artists Betsy Casañas and Mauricio Pérez designed it. Community members helped them paint it. The images shows people gardening, flowers blooming and a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. A few days before it was…Read More
2023 Ithaca Common Council Election Coverage For the first time in 10 years, Voters in the City of Ithaca have the chance to elect a new mayor and the entire Common Council. WRFI and the Ithaca Voice have teamed up to bring you a week of interviews with Common Council candidates before the primary. Tune…Read More
The effects of Canadian wildfires are getting worse in our area. For a third day, the state Department of Environmental Conservation has issued an air quality warning. And they now say the air is unhealthy for everyone. The state health department is encouraging all of us to avoid spending much time outdoors. And it’s asking…Read More
It’s been over a week since Ithaca CarShare temporarily closed. The nonprofit stopped operating on May 19 because of an insurance problem that can only be solved with new state legislation. I called Ithaca CarShare members – Ellie Santoro, Jayne Soulman, and Marybeth Michelson-Theiry to find out how not having access to the car share…Read More
Latest from the WRFI News Team
Daily features and interviews from our community
– New Ithaca police chief selected – A 23-year veteran of the Schenectady police department has been selected to be the new police chief in Ithaca. Thomas Kelly was selected after interviews with community members and a search committee. His appointment must be approved by the Common Council. They are set to vote on it…Read More
– Thirteenth person indicted for kidnapping, murder of Ithaca’s Thomas Rath – A thirteenth person was indicted for the kidnapping and murder of Ithaca resident Thomas Rath. New York State Police announced on November 22 that Newfield resident, David Maycumber was indicted by a Tioga County Grand Jury on four charges. They include first-degree murder,…Read More
– Hochul signs law that will seal criminal records for thousands – Governor Hochul has signed a new law into effect that will seal criminal records for thousands of people. The Clean Slate Law will seal the records of some people who have served their sentences and paid all fines. The Albany Times Union reports…Read More
– Ithaca seeks public input for short-term rental regulations – The City of Ithaca held a public session about its proposed short-term rental policy last week. Residents were able to talk with the city officials who are drafting the regulations. The Ithaca Voice reports that officials explained three types of permits being considered. Two would…Read More